History of FSMTA
At nearly 5,000 members, the Florida State Massage therapy Association (FSMTA) has grown considerably since June 15, 1939 when it started with 85 charter members. Currently, the FSMTA has members living anywhere from the Florida/Alabama border in Escambia County to the tip of the Keys and even as far away as Australia. Since its inception, the FSMTA has been a leader in supporting and protecting those who have chosen or are choosing massage therapy as their profession.
In 1943, the Florida State Massage Law was passed by the state legislature. This law, as well as many of the rules and procedures that followed, was developed from annual meetings of the Florida State Massage Association (the original name of the FSMTA).
In 1945, committees on Ethics, Membership, Finance, and Constitution/Bylaws were formed to help the association protect massage therapists.
The FSMTA later found that it needed to have local chapters to help address some issues and education matters with its members. In the 1950s, the Dade chapter was formed; followed by the Jacksonville, Orlando and Palm Beach chapters. As FSMTA grew, other chapters were added including the Pinellas and Broward chapters. Educational programs were extended in 1953 to be held at chapter meetings and 8 hours of continuing education courses were incorporated into the Annual Convention.
Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, the Association remained active; but, the greatest period of growth and change was during the 1980s. At that time, the FSMTA became more centralized and grew to 14 chapters. In 1986 it was reincorporated as the Florida State Massage Therapy Association. That same year, the Massage Message Magazine, the official magazine of the FSMTA, was first published. Later, new committees were formed to help achieve the goals of the FSMTA. In 1988, the Insurance Committee made liability insurance available to FSMTA members while the Legislative Committee helped Chapter 480 become more responsive to the needs of therapists and the public. Also in 1988, the Educational Standards Committee was developed to work with the State of Florida, the FSMTA Annual Convention, and local chapters to provide continuing education programs. The last two committees formed in the late 1980s were the Sports Massage Team Committee, known throughout the state for its excellent service to athletes, and the Public Relations Committee, designed to actively promote the FSMTA and its members to the general public.
The 1990s brought more growth to the Association and so the FSMTA Central Office was established in the Orlando area to organize and consolidate the services of the Association and help it become more responsive to the needs of its members. In 2001, the FSMTA added its 19th chapter in the ongoing effort to serve its members efficiently and effectively.
Through our vision statement: To Promote Public Awareness of Massage Therapy in Florida Through Education and Professionalism, the FSMTA and its governing Board of Directors continue on a path of action and accomplishment. Our mission statement: To Unify the Massage Therapy Profession While Creating, Representing, and Promoting Standards of Excellence in Health Care validates the FSMTA’s promise to serve and protect the massage therapist in Florida.
MEMBERSHIP HAS MANY BENEFITS!
Connect – Learn – Grow – Succeed
Membership in the Florida State Massage Therapy Association has many excellent benefits to help enhance your professional career and to help you succeed!
Your membership is valid for a full twelve months from the time your application is processed and 100% of your membership dues go toward the work of uniting, promoting and protecting massage therapist and the profession in Florida and beyond. Upon joining the FSMTA, Florida LMT’s areautomatically a member of their local chapter at no extra cost.
HOW TO JOIN
FSMTA Membership Applications
You can join the FSMTA and receive all of the benefits of membership for as little as$14.95 per month! We have multiple member categories and payment options to choose from. Please choose one of the options below to complete and submit your application for membership to the Association.
There are several member categories that you can qualify to join FSMTA under from Student, Florida LMT, National Membership, Business and more!
If you need a New Membership Application to be mailed or faxed to you, please call the Corporate Office at 877-376-8248, between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Eastern Time.
FSMTA offers several easy ways to pay. You can sign up for only $14.95 a month on our new auto pay program, or pay for the membership in full for $125 for 1 year. You can save additional money on your annual membership dues by pre-paying for multiple years.. two years for only or three years for only $300. There is a small application fee of $15 for new members, and for memberships that have expired for more than 30 days. We make it easy for every income level and budget style to join from monthly, annually, bi-annually and to save even more with our 3 year option.
The low membership price does not include insurance, but once a member you can obtain insurance for the affordable rate of only $99. As a member benefit you can purchase insurance at a special member rate. We keep the membership and insurance separate, and offer customized coverage in an effort to be as flexible as possible and enable more people to join, participate and receive the many benefits of the Association. We continue to work and provide even greater value to your FSMTA Membership and our benefits just keep growing. Join today and begin to connect, learn, grow and succeed! .
Some of the many membership benefits include:
- 19 Local Chapters throughout the state of Florida
- Access to Optional Professional Liability Insurance
- Optional Group Health Insurance (Please contact FSMTA Corporate Office for more information)
- FSMTA Lobbyist-Your membership includes having a presence in Tallahassee where FSMTA’s Lobbyists, Legislative Chair, Legislative committee, and our retained corporate attorneys all work on your behalf to address legislative concerns of massage therapists. Please see the About Us page to learn about our legislative achievements.
- Legislative Awareness Days: A yearly event during which FSMTA Members visit Tallahassee as a large group to meet with representatives to educate and promote awareness of the benefits of massage therapy.
- Annual Convention with substantial member discounts
- FREE and low cost CE programs on the chapter level
- FREE subscription to Massage Message magazine and chapter newsletters
- FSMTA Sports Massage Team-join the team to promote your specialty
- Massage Therapy Awareness Week: Every October, during a week designated by the Governor, FSMTA organizes events throughout the state to increase public awareness of massage therapy and its benefits.
- Professional Affiliation, Networking and Referral Opportunities
- FSMTA Chair Massage and Special Events Team on the chapter level
- Representation at all Board of Massage Therapy Meetings with membership updates
- FSMTA website providing you with updated information
- FSMTA Social Media sites to keep you updated, and to connect with others in the field
- FSMTA Members only social media group to keep you connected and informed of actions, events, jobs and news relevant to you as a Massage Therapist and exclusive to members only. This is another platform to to connect, grow, share and succeed.
- Membership certificate, card, and lapel pin
- Use of the FSMTA logo for your marketing,promotions and credibility as a professional
- Promotional and Professional Practice Products: Online Store Now Open!
- FREE listing in the FSMTA Therapist Locator to market you to the public
- Community Service/Outreach Opportunities
- Sample Contracts for Employees and Independent Contractors Do you know the difference?
- Discount programs, educational programs and other benefits to provide you with the tools for success!
Join today to receive the many benefits of membership in the FSMTA!
Membership dues are non-refundable.